Friday, August 8, 2014

Mending Friendships

Have you ever had a friendship that just sort of fell away? Maybe there wasn't a real parting, but you drifted apart in some way or another. I know that for me, that has happened many times. One day, you just realize that you are not longer spending time with someone that you once hung out with a lot.





A few months back, I had a friend see me at the grocery store, and it was a surreal moment as she came up to me and said, "I'm so sorry we haven't hung out lately. I just feel like I would bring you down with everything going on in my life." Talk about a wake up call. I didn't even know that she was intentionally avoiding me. I guess I just thought that we had grown apart for a time. When life gets busy, you can easily forget about friends.







When you get woken out of your slumber with a hard slap, like I did that day, these are the things that run through your mind:



Why have I been such a terrible friend?

Things need to change. 

How can I make this right? 



Follow the link below to read my thoughts from that day in the grocery store, where my world came to a complete halt. These are my first hand thoughts the minute I got home from the store.

The Day Snow Was on Its Way



What Now?



After you realize that you have a relationship that has fallen by the wayside, here are some things you can do to get back on track:







1. Be intentional- the chances are, if you are not longer spending time with someone, there has been a change in your life. You must be intentional to spend time with them. Make it a point to invite them over, send them a text, or call them on the phone.





2. Get over your pride- maybe you have had a bit of a falling out, or some reason you are no longer spending time with that person. Clearly, my friend was having some guilt issues associated with being in my presence. You have to put aside whatever reason you have avoided someone.





3. Make a commitment- it really all boils down to being committed. You must decide you are willing to do what it takes to spend time with this person again. If you drifted away once, it can easily happen again. Make it up in your mind that you will be committed to spending time with this person.





It takes time and commitment to have a relationship of any kind. We are so in need of relationships in our lives. It is the reason for living. Take the time you need to build strong ties with other people.


No comments:

Post a Comment