Saturday, July 26, 2014

DIY Gifts Are Special



Blame it on my artistic nature, but I just love to hand make gifts for the people in my life. Also, some of my decision to make DIY gifts is out of necessity. My husband Austin and I have rarely had the money to purchase anything of real value for our friends, family, children, and each other. Doing craft projects is one of the ways that I have been able to give to those in my life without going broke.



There have been times when having to make homemade gifts for others has actually been a source of discouragement to me. When you feel obligated to do something, it can take a little bit of the joy out of it. Not only that, I thought I was cheating my children and family out of more valuable gifts. I was pretty astonished when in passing, my oldest child said, "Homemade gifts are the best". It really did change my perspective that this was something that he appreciated. Maybe this will be a fond childhood memory when he gets older that his mom always made him homemade gifts.



In the spirit of my crafting nature, Austin decided to tackle a jewelry making project for me last year on my birthday. I was so surprised that he took on that task since he is not really very crafty himself.



You can click this link Homemade Gifts Are the Best to see the picture of the necklace he made me. Later on, he actually made earrings to go with this necklace. It was a real blessing to see him go outside of his comfort zone to show me how much he cares for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment